For all users on the Business & Finance Network
Employees should receive a copy of this policy. Acceptable Use is In compliance with University of Nebraska Executive Memorandum 16.
Remote Access Support Eligibility
Authorization must be granted by one of the following personnel before SCS will perform support on any remote PC:
- Vice Chancellor of Business & Finance
- Any Associate or Assistant Vice Chancellor within Business & Finance
- Chief of University Police
- Director of Operations Analysis
It is the responsibility of the end-user’s department to get remote access support authorization from one of these personnel; once SCS receives written notification from the authorizing personnel, the end-user will be added to a remote access support list maintained by SCS. When an end-user has been added to this list, support will be performed for his/her remote University-owned PC in the same fashion as support on his/her office University-owned PC.
Due to security and liability issues, SCS will not perform any support on personally-owned remote PC’s; to receive remote support an end-user must be using a University-owned and SCS-configured PC.
All remote access to the network must be through SCS-configured Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections; SCS will configure the University-owned PC of everyone on the remote access support list for VPN access and provide instructions on use of the VPN.
All other standards in place for the network still apply during remote access.
Violations and penalties
Penalties for violating the Remote Access Policy will vary depending on the nature and severity of the specific violation. Any employee who violates the Remote Access Policy will be subject to:
- Disciplinary action as described in the University’s employee handbook, including but not limited to reprimand, suspension, and/or termination of employment.
- Civil or criminal prosecution under federal and/or state law.